Search

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Draft Preview with Fran Duffy

   On Friday April 8th, I had an interview with Draft expert Fran Duffy. Fran is an incredible guy and he really made this a great interview. He has written for sites like NFLDraft101.com, Kffl.com, Yahoo, CBS Sportsline, and ProFootballWeekly.  Let's take a look at the great chat we had together.


     Brandon Sweeney: Hello Fran and Thank you for joining us today at Pro Football Hotline.
     Fran Duffy: Hey Brandon! Thanks for having me.


     Brandon Sweeney: Lets get right down to it business, and talk about the draft. For the ones that will be reading this, one question that they may want to know is who will be the number one overall pick of the 2011 Draft?

     Fran Duffy: Well I think right now there is a lot of buzz is around Cam Newton. The Panthers have a definite need at quarterback and they've thrown a lot of attention his way lately. I think right now he's the top pick.


     Brandon Sweeney: Is Cam Newton the best quarterback in this class?
     Fran Duffy: Well obviously Carolina seems to thinks so, but my favorite of the class is Jake Locker. I know he had a rough senior year, but he's shown he has what it takes to be a winner.


     Brandon Sweeney: Where would you say a guy like Locker will get drafted?
     Fran Duffy: Right now I have him as the 10th overall selection going to the Washington Redskins. I know some think he can slip down to round two, but I just don't see it. He's definitely a first-round pick.


     Brandon Sweeney: What makes you think that Locker is a top 10 Pick?
     Fran Duffy: Well Locker is a great athlete who comes from a pro-style system and has a big arm. He's smart, a leader, and most importantly accountable. He hasn't made excuses for his issues as a senior and instead embraced them. That's an admirable trait and a tell-tale sign to the kid's mental toughness and character. Washington was rumored to like him at the top of last years draft, and I imagine they'd pull the trigger on him early on draft day.


     Brandon Sweeney: If you had to relate his playing style to someone, who would that be?
     Fran Duffy: Honestly, he reminds me a lot of John Elway. His athleticism, arm and moxie all remind me of the Hall of Famer.


     Brandon Sweeney: What you see in the headlines about his accuracy, do you believe that is all true?
     Fran Duffy: Well I wouldn't go as much on completion percentage as a measure of accuracy as some would make you believe. Guys like Blaine Gabbert coming out of a spread offense are supposed to have a high completion percentage. Locker played in a more Pro Style offense that asked him to do more things than another offense would have. He's more prepared to play in the league now because of it.


     Brandon Sweeney: Is Mark Ingram a first round pick?
     Fran Duffy: I think he is. I'm not as high on him as others but I think he does end up with the Dolphins because that really is their top need right now. If not I could see him going to a team like New England or New Orleans.


     Brandon Sweeney: Do you think that the value of the running back has fallen over the years? Do you think that you can find your talent in the later rounds? Does the NFL show that right now?
     Fran Duffy: I think you see less go early on now, but its just the way the games played. Teams in the NFL and in college use multiple backs and that in turn lessens their value. Still, an elite talent such as Adrian Peterson or Chris Johnson is still worth a first-round pick.


     Brandon Sweeney: Lets hear some of your sleepers in this draft?
     Fran Duffy: At cornerback, I like Curtis Marsh from Utah State. A former running back who has the tools to be a high-level cover man, I'm a big fan of his. At linebacker, I really like Chris Carter from Fresno State, he's a quality pass rusher who isn't getting a lot of press but should be a solid pro. On the defensive line, I like Cedric Thornton from Southern Arkansas. He's a long lineman built in the mold of Temple defensive tackle Muhammad Wilkerson. He's a solid choice in the late rounds. At wide receiver, I like Darvin Adams from Auburn. He's got playmaking ability and grades out as one of my top wideouts. At quarterback, I'm a big fan of Andy Dalton's. He's a winner with a lot of moxie and great intangibles. He will find a way to succeed at the next level.


     Brandon Sweeney: Would you add guys like Edmund Gates WR (Albilene Christian) and Dion Lewis RB (Pittsburgh) in there?
     Fran Duffy: Absolutely. I really like Dion Lewis a lot, He's got elite quickness and change of direction. He didn't run all that well in the 40 but he's more quick than fast anyway. I like him in the 3rd round. Gates is extremely gifted and is as smooth an athlete as they come in this class. He definitely has the tools to succeed at the next level.


     Brandon Sweeney: Patrick Peterson. A great physical specimen out of LSU, but is he the best coverage corner in this class?
     Fran Duffy:No question. Peterson is an elite cover corner. When was the last time we talked about a cornerback going number one overall? Exactly. He's a rare talent.


     Brandon Sweeney: What player coming out this year are you most anxious in seeing play at the next level? Why?
     Fran Duffy: Cam Newton. There's no doubt he's an incredible talent, I just don't know if his skills will translate to the NFL. I will watch his development earnestly, and I'll root for him because I think him succeeding would be good for the game. He's a very charismatic, though sometimes controversial figure.


     Brandon Sweeney:If he lives up to his potential, do you think that he could change how the QB position is played?
     Fran Duffy: I don't think so. Players with his type of ability don't come around very often so he won't change the game in that respect. Teams will definitely have the change the way they defend with his ability to hurt them through the air and on the ground.


     Brandon Sweeney: What team needs to have the biggest draft this year?
     Fran Duffy: I think teams like the Jets, Eagles and Colts, who are just a couple players away need a big draft. Teams with coaches close to the hot seat need a big weekend as well. The Jaguars, Bengals, and Chargers all fit that bill as well.


     Brandon Sweeney: Okay man, one more question for you. If you had to pick one player in this class. What player do you think will be a bust?
     Fran Duffy: I think a lot of people are high on Akeem Ayers (UCLA) because he has a lot of potential and shows some raw ability, but watching him on film as a junior and a senior I came away unimpressed. He's soft and doesn't like to mix it up, and when it comes down to it you can't play that way as a linebacker. I don't know what he can bring otherwise.


     Brandon Sweeney: Thank you so much Fran for joining us.
     Fran Duffy: Thank you Brandon, thanks for having me!


   I hope that you liked the interview. If you would like to see some more of Fran Duffy, follow him on Twitter @fduffytufb. He is also a writer for NFLDraft101.com. Thank you for reading this, and if you have any draft questions whatsoever about the 2011 NFL Draft, leave them in the comment box below. Fran may be able to answer them.

4 comments:

  1. Great interview .Very informative .Keep the Draft info flowing ! Good Job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Read Keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Interview! Would love to hear your thoughts on the Bears and the Draft! What do you think they need and how do you feel about the possibilities out there? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jenny!

    As far as the Bears are concerned, I think their priority has to be offensive line. Whether it's a guy like Anthony Costanzo, Gabe Carimi, Mike Pouncey or Nate Solder, I think that's the way they should go in Round One. All would play immediately and help a unit that Mike Tice really worked wonders with despite it being a not-so-talented group.

    The team could use some help at linebacker, where an infusion of young talent would really pay dividends. I like Mason Foster out of Washington a lot. If UNC's Bruce Carter were to fall to them in Round Two, they'd be crazy to pass him up. He's a perfect scheme-fit for your Bears.

    I also believe they need to continue giving Jay Cutler more weapons in the passing game, they need a go-to guy. They have some speed (Knox/Hester) and some move-the-chains guys, but they really need an every down playmaker at the wide receiver position. I tink they can find that in the middle rounds, much like Tampa Bay did with Mike Williams a year ago. Guys like Greg Little, Terrance Tolliver and Darvin Adams would be great fits in my opinion.

    So those are my Top 3 needs for your Bears, and keep an eye out for the defensive tackle position, running back, as well as the secondary. I think those are all positions you'll see addressed on draft weekend.

    Thanks for the question!

    ReplyDelete