Search

Sunday, April 17, 2011

2011 Lions Draft Preview

  
   Sunday evening I had a great opportunity to have an interview with a Lions fan whose Draft knowledge is above par. Unfortunately, he does not have a site or a Twitter to my knowledge. He is a great guy, and you may ask him any draft questions concerning the Lions draft, and he will be proud to answer. Let's welcome him!



     Brandon Sweeney: Today we have Ernie Petty. Ernie, thanks for joining us.
     Ernie Petty: Thanks for having me.

     Brandon Sweeney: I always like to start these interviews by asking a little about last season. Please reflect on last season, and tell us what it was like watching the Lions as a fan.
    Ernie Petty: It was a season that had it's ups and downs, but they are a team on the up.

     Brandon Sweeney: The Lions had a remarkable late season turnaround. Tell us what it was like to watch them win their last few games of the season.
     Ernie Petty: It was great for the players and the fan. We waited a long time to see some good football here.

     Brandon Sweeney: Take us to April 28th, the first round of the 2011 Draft, what are the Lions going to do?
     Ernie Petty: I love this year's draft. It's got a lot of players on the defensive side of the ball and that's where they will go with Prince Amukamara (CB, Nebraska).

     Brandon Sweeney: If Amukamara doesn't make it to thirteen and gets drafted, what should the Lions do?
     Ernie Petty: There are other needs that they can fill there. I like Cameron Jordan, defensive end from California, or Tyron Smith, offensive tackle from USC.

     Brandon Sweeney: I agree. Any of those players could step up and do a good job on day one. Okay, take us through the rest of the draft. What do the Lions have to do?
     Ernie Petty: We are going to have to stay on the defense. They need a outside linebacker, defensive end, and then they can go running back and wide receiver.

     Brandon Sweeney: Should they stick with defense in the earlier rounds?
     Ernie Petty: I think so. I would go cornerback in round one, and then outside linebacker in round two. Then maybe a safety.

     Brandon Sweeney: If the Lions get their team needs, and assuming that we have football in 2011, what is your prediction for the 2011 Lions?
     Ernie Petty: First of all I think that we will have football. With another good off-season this team could go 9-7 or maybe 10-6 and make the playoffs.

     Brandon Sweeney: I agree. This is a very good, young, talented team. When healthy has a dangerous offense, but needs help on the defensive side of the ball.
     Ernie Petty: The defensive line had a good season last year. The linebackers and defensive backs need some help.

     Brandon Sweeney: Okay man, that wraps it all up. thanks so much for joining us today! Any final words that you would like to tell the readers?
     Ernie Petty: No that is just about it. Thanks for having me. I hope you will have me back sometime.


   Another draft interview has been wrapped up with another great guy! Ernie would love if you guys asked any Lions Draft questions that you may have. He looks forward to talking to you guys, so please leave a comment and/or question in the comment box below this post. A chance to talk 2011 Lions! Please spread the word guys!

4 comments:

  1. Ernie, I agree with you on most everything, except I think Costanzo would be better for the Lions than Tryon Smith if the target OL in the 1st round.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think championship teams are made of middle round guys. Sure there's the few stars but we have those already. I want Detroit to trade out of the 1st round if possible, and get more guys in the middle rounds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bunstermania thanks for leaving a comment, I think Castonzo is gonna be a good player I just have him ranked below Tyron Smith and Mike Pouncey. That's even if they go with a lineman in this spot I think it will be defense side anyway

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lionsfan20bs thanks for leaving a comment, i am with you on getting more picks in the middle rounds if the deal is right. I don't think we will see a lot of teams moving around this year. But if lions can get some who wants the 13th pick and we can get another pick in round 2 for it then yes they should trade.

    ReplyDelete