Search

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Draft Preview with Chad Davis

     Hello NFL fans. Pro Football Hotline interviewed draft breakdown's Chad Davis for a second consecutive year. As always it was a great chat with Chad. I hope that you guys enjoy the interview! Do not forget to comment and spread the word!


Brandon Sweeney: Chad, thanks for joining us again on Pro Football Hotline.
Chad Davis: Thanks for inviting me. I appreciate it! Excited to talk some NFL Draft!



Brandon Sweeney: Okay, let's get started. This first round is very rich in defensive tackles. The question is, who is the best defensive tackle in this class?
Chad Davis: That's a great question because if you ask several people you will probably get several different answers. The bottom line is there probably isn't one particular standout in the class, but it's a very deep class overall. For my money, the best of the bunch is Fletcher Cox from Mississippi. He's an extremely disruptive interior force who has the versatility to play 3-technique in a 4-3 or even 5-tech in a 3-4. I love his potential as a pass rusher as well as his ability to make plays behind the line of scrimmage. Great player who I'm certain will end up being a top-10 pick.


Brandon Sweeney: Trent Richardson is obviously a first round running back and maybe the only one taken in the first round. Will any other backs go in the first and if so, what team would take one of these prospects late in the first?
Chad Davis: I do think that you will see at least one, if not two more running backs taken in the first round. Boise State's Doug Martin has steadily risen up draft boards to the point I believe he will be a first round pick. Martin is a true 3-down back who should be able to carry the load for a team. He's such a steady player who combines power with elusiveness and just does a lot of things right. If another back goes in the first it will probably be either Miami's Lamar Miller or Virginia Tech's David Wilson. Both are game-breaking players who can score on any play. I feel like the big rush on backs will come in the 2nd round when you could potentially see Miller and Wilson go, along with Washington's Chris Polk, Temple's Bernard Pierce, and maybe even Cincinnati's Isaiah Pead or Oregon's LaMichael James.


Brandon Sweeney: Do you think that Justin Blackmon is a better player than Dez Bryant when he came out of Oklahoma State?
Chad Davis: Personally I don't believe Blackmon is a better player than Dez Bryant. Bryant is such an explosive player and I've never felt that was part of Blackmon's game. Here's the thing though: it's entirely possible that Blackmon becomes a more productive NFL player than Bryant simply because he has a better head on his shoulders. I'm truly disappointed how Bryant has handled his career thus far. So much potential but way too many self-created problems. By all accounts Blackmon is a hard-worker, great teammate, and willing to put in the time to be great. So while I say that Bryant is a better talent, if I had to take one I would take Blackmon. 


Brandon Sweeney: Who are some of your favorites at a few positions and why?
Chad Davis: I'm a Pac-12 guy so most of my favorites come from the teams I have studied most. California LB Mychal Kendricks is a guy who has been on my radar since last year and is finally seeing the love nationally. He's a sideline-to-sideline backer with great speed and instincts and a nose for the ball. He is undersized for an inside linebacker but more than makes up for it to me with a tremendous motor and effort.
Stanford guard David DeCastro has been my man-crush practically sine he was in high school and chose Stanford over my University of Washington. He is the best guard prospect I have scouted since Steve Hutchinson. Physical, tough, athletic....just everything you want in a guard. Not many guards are consensus top-15 picks, but I believe this guy is and maybe even top 10. Such a good football player.
Another player getting some love recently and someone I've had an eye on for awhile is Oregon State DB Brandon Hardin. He missed much of last season after breaking his shoulder, but absolutely blew up at his Pro Day. At 6'3" and 217 lbs., Hardin ran a sub-4.4 40-yard dash, did 24 reps at 225 lbs., and also managed a 35 1/2" vertical. Crazy numbers for a cornerback with crazy size. I think he will be very versatile player in the NFL with the ability to play both safety and corner.

Brandon Sweeney: Who are some of your sleepers?
Chad Davis: There are a few guys I like that probably don't get talked about enough. The first is TE Josh Chichester from Louisville. A converted WR, Chichester checks in at 6'8" and 240 lbs. and really tore it up at this pro day. His ability to turn into a potentially deadly redzone target is really intriguing to me. He will most likely be a late round pick or an undrafted free agent. Another player I like in the mid-rounds is Oklahoma tackle Donald Stephenson. Stephenson measured as one of the top tackles at the combine athletically (4.94 40-yard dash), and has a nasty streak to boot. His inexperience drives him back in the draft a bit, but he could be a steal in the 4th or 5th round. Lastly, I really like DT Akiem Hicks from the University of Regina in Canada of all places! He has a really interesting story being a former LSU recruit who wound up in Canada due to some recruiting controversy. He had a good year at Regina, was invited to the East-West Shrine Game and really impressed scouts with his ability. At 6'5" and 318 lbs.he's versatile, athletic and will be a nice value pick in the mid-rounds.

Brandon Sweeney: Now every pick is a bit of a gamble, but what prospect is the biggest gamble compared to where they will be drafted?
Chad Davis: The biggest gamble based on draft position will be Ryan Tannehill. A likely top-10 pick, Tannehill certainly divides a lot of opinions. While he flashes great potential, it's hard to justify potential over production/experience when drafting in the top 10 (see: Dontari Poe). Remember, Tannehill has only been playing QB for a season and a half. I see great ability in Tannehill, but I also see issues. He couldn't beat good teams and his team collapsed in many second halves. The fact that some other good QBs went back to school (Matt Barkley, Landry Jones, Tyler Wilson, etc.) have kind of pushed Tannehill into the top 10 by default. I like him, but based on draft position he is a serious gamble. 

Brandon Sweeney: There are a lot of Quinton Coples doubters. Do you think Coples will excel at the next level?
Chad Davis: I certainly have my doubts. When I watch him play I just can't get over the lack of effort at times this past season. Then you watch the Senior Bowl and he's practically the best player there. Guys like that scare me. Why so off and on? If it were up to me I think that I pass. He's not a special enough player on the field for me to risk the bust factor. With that being said, he'll be a first round pick and perhaps even top 10. 

Brandon Sweeney: What is the one player that comes to your mind that you think is underrated in this class?
Chad Davis: One player I really think is underrated is Tennessee DE Malik Jackson. At 6'5" and 270 pounds and possessing great arm length, he's versatile enough to play multiple positions on the defensive line, and even did so at Tennessee. He's not an overly dynamic pass rusher yet, but has the ability to be really strong in this area eventually. He's strong, quick off the snap and plays with a great motor. I'm honestly not sure why he's seen as a 3rd round pick by some. I have no problem taking him in the 2nd round. 

Brandon Sweeney: Morris Claiborne looks to be the first corner back going to be taken this year, but is he the best at his position?
Chad Davis: Yes, he is the best cornerback in this draft. He's fluid, possesses great length, and has extraordinary ball skills. I think that the only corner close in talent is Janoris Jenkins, but Claiborne comes without all the baggage. The one area that Claiborne may struggle with initially is in press coverage, but it's not a big enough flaw to drop him out of the top 5 picks. 

Brandon Sweeney: If your a team like  the Ravens or Steelers that have a real physical defense, would you take Dont'a Hightower? Both teams need help or will need help at that position soon.
Chad Davis: You bet I would. I'm a big Dont'a Hightower fan. And while I do appreciate the things that Luke Kuechly brings to the table, Hightower to me is a better value in the late first round. He has the rare ability to play both defensive end and middle linebacker, something you just don't see that often. He is also a true thumper in every sense of the word. Kuechly is the far better linebacker in pass coverage, but I also don't think that Hightower is completely inept in this area. What he provides in versatility and tenacity more than makes up for it. Great player from a great defense and he'll be great in the NFL too.

Brandon Sweeney:  Last year's draft class was one of the best. Will this year's be as good, better, or neither?
Chad Davis: I think it's too early too judge a draft class at this point. Even last year's class. To be honest, I can't stand the instant "grades" that are given out immediately following each draft because you really have no idea how it's going to turn out. What I'll say is this: the 2012 is loaded with talent in the middle rounds so it should provide some true diamonds in the rough. But what it lacks is true star power at the top (aside from Luck and Griffin of course). So in that case I anticipate a lot of attempts to trade back and acquire more middle round picks by teams because that's where the value lies in this draft.

Brandon Sweeney: Chad Davis everyone! Chad, thank you so much for joining us on Pro Football Hotline. I love having you on and you are welcome back anytime.
Chad Davis: Thanks for having me again! Had lots of fun and look forward to doing it again!

     Thanks for ready NFL fans! We can never thank Chad enough for this great interview! Go follow him right now on Twitter @chad_davis45 and view draftbreakdown.com. Thank you guys again and spread the word about Pro Football Hotline!

No comments:

Post a Comment