Search

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Combine Day One: News and Notes

     Who said that Offensive lineman are big, out of shape, and slow? Well for anyone that watched day one of on-field drills at the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis, would have to disagree with you. I have never seen a group of offensive lineman so fit and quick in my life. The offensive line really stole the show today in my eyes. The tight ends also worked out today and participated in on-field drills, and I have to say, I was not impressed with how they performed today. It was a sloppy performance in my eyes for the tight ends as a whole. We will cover all of this in due time, but first, let's look at some of the stats today.


Bench Press - OL                                   Reps
David Molk - Michigan                            41
David Decastro - Stanford                       34
Kevin Zeitler - Wisconsin                         32

40 Yard Dash - OL                               Time
Donald Stephenson - Oklahoma             4.94
Matt Kalil - USC                                   4.99
Adam Gettis - Iowa                               5.00

     As far as position drills for the offensive lineman, just about everyone looked smooth, but there are a few people that really stood out that I must bring up. Best performer today and probably had the most solid day today was Matt Kalil. The guy looked great, and showed everyone why he is a Top-10 talent or even a Top-5 talent. Kalil looked very good in the position drills, was quick on his feet, good base, and nice awareness all day. Another stand out today in my opinion was Cordy Glenn from Georgia. The man looked good in all the on-field drills, very quick for on his feet. Did very well in the mirror drill. Last but not least, Phillip Blake, the center from Oregon showed up today and showed scouts and coaches that he is a good valuable player. Was really impressed with Blake today. Good, strong body but also quick. Did very well in position drills and may have raised a few eyebrows.

Bench Press - TE                                          Reps
Orson Charles - Georgia                                35
Dwayne Allen - Clemson                               27
Coby Fleener - Stanford                                27

40 Yard Dash - TE                                     Time
James Hanna - Oklahoma                           4.49
LaDarius Green - Louisiana-Lafayette          4.53
Evan Rodriguez - Temple                            4.58

Vertical Jump - TE                                    Height
Michael Egnew - Missouri                          36.0
James Hanna - Oklahoma                          36.0
DeAngelo Peterson - LSU                         36.0

     I will admit, as a whole group, I was not impressed with the tight ends. I think that they disappointed many viewers thinking that there might be a Jimmy Graham somewhere in this class. Well first of all, only fourteen tight ends were invited to go to the combine so the numbers were real slim already. Another thing that disappointed me was Orson Charles deciding not to run or vertical jump at the combine. I think it was a mistake, but he is still probably the best overall tight end in this class. Now the guys that i do like are slim. Dwayne Allen from Clemson is a good talented tight end. Quick and looked decent on drills. James Hanna is a quick guy that I think teams are going to take a closer look at. Quick, good hands although he did drop a couple balls today. Corey Harkey from UCLA is a guy that I really enjoyed myself watching. Bigger than the other tight ends, but still caught the ball very well, and I think will be one of them TE/FB's in the NFL.

     As we look into Day two of on-field action at the scouting combine, we will look at quarterbacks, running backs, and wide receivers. I am very excited to see these guys and we will see what they have to offer. A lot of guys that I am very anxious to see work and how they do. Now if you have not heard the news buzzing around lately, let me remind you: Andrew Luck will not throw. Robert Griffin III will not throw. Trent Richardson will not be doing drills. Justin Blackman will not run the 40-yard dash. Most of the big names are not doing the big drills, but I am still very anxious to see the other prospects.

2 comments:

  1. As a Georgia fan, I am thrilled for Cordy and Orson. I like your write-up and am looking forward to more news from the combine. Oh, and you're spot on about the linemen, they are the smartest jocks on the field, in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment! And yes there will be more on the combine! So stay tuned! The o-line looked great out there today. Was very impressed. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete